Tanzania is a very good family holiday destination for a number of reasons:
- It is easily accessible from Europe with little time difference (no jet lag)
- There are a good variety of family-friendly safari camps and lodges, often with specific family accommodation options
- It is usual in the north of the country to travel with a private vehicle and guide, which is not only cost effective for a family of 4 – 6 but also allows maximum flexibility and privacy
- There is wonderful game viewing with high concentrations of game (kids don’t get bored)
- There are convenient beach options for combination holidays.
In the north of the country, families can enjoy an amazing all round adventure, combining brilliant game viewing, wonderful scenery and cultural experiences. Accommodation varies from very comfortable safari hotels and lodges to more authentic tented camps. Although distances between areas are sometimes relatively small, if travelling with younger children, you may wish to consider the amount of time spent on the road that such a safari is likely to entail. Air transfers are always possible as required.
In the more remote south and west of the country, lengthy road travel is not a consideration and the parks are usually accessed by air. The experiences in the south and west tend to be a little more wilderness and wildlife orientated, without large ‘safari lodge’ accommodation options, making these regions less suitable for very young children. Teenagers will however enjoy the variety of activities on offer (walking, boating, fishing etc.) and as a family you can enjoy a truly wild bush experience.
Many family holidays in Africa will combine a wildlife safari with some beach relaxation, and Tanzania’s main beach destination, Zanzibar, has a wide range of beach hotels to choose from, together with lovely beaches. Larger resort-style hotels are ideal if travelling with younger kids who will thrive on being kept busy and meeting other children, whilst smaller, more boutique-style retreats can offer more exclusive family relaxation. Please see our Tanzania Beaches page for further information.
Please email us via our Contact Us page, or ideally call us on +44 (0) 1787 888590 to speak to one of our specialists who would be very happy to talk through the different Tanzania family safari options. You may also wish to visit our general Family Safaris page for more general information on travelling to Africa with children.