There are many reasons why Africa is such an awesome honeymoon destination.
The memorable nature of a wildlife safari makes the adventure together so special, whilst there is still the opportunity to relax on idyllic beaches afterwards (or before) and indulge in a little luxury and pampering throughout. The ‘safari and beach’ formula does offer many couples the perfect balance between adventure and relaxation.
There are a few more subtle reasons why Africa is so popular for honeymoons and weddings.
- Firstly, the level of personal service provided in many safari camps is second-to-none. Provided you choose your safari correctly, you can expect wonderful service, with camp managers and local staff genuinely caring about you and your stay. For a honeymoon safari this is important (private dinners etc) but for a ‘bush wedding’ it is absolutely crucial. If you wish to enjoy good, friendly service and be made to feel ‘special’, there is nowhere better to go than a well-run, intimate safari camp.
- Secondly, you do not need to sacrifice too much comfort in order to experience ‘the real thing’. For couples looking for an authentic bush experience, without being too adventurous, there are many suitable options to consider. Great food and service, hot showers, cold drinks, flush toilets and comfortable beds are all available without sacrificing on the wildlife viewing or overall ‘bush experience’. If you are seeking genuine luxury on safari, suitable options do exist, however we would encourage you not to limit yourself to purely those options, as a great safari is determined by much more than just luxury.
- Thirdly, whilst Africa is adventurous and you may need to take malaria tablets and have inoculations, much of safari Africa is very comfortable to visit. It is only occasionally ‘unbearably hot’, and insects and bugs are not nearly as significant as they can be elsewhere in the world. Internal travel is reliable and travel distances are rarely too great. It is entirely possible for couples with no previous ‘adventure travel experience’ to venture on safari and thoroughly enjoy the whole experience.
- Lastly, the people you meet will add to your whole experience. You may feel that a honeymoon or wedding ‘abroad’ is all about privacy and exclusivity, which of course it can be. However, whilst you will have all the personal space and privacy you require, you will also be hosted by exceptional people. In particular, your guides play a very important role in the success of your adventure, and really can add to your experience. Even if you do not plan to be especially social, the personal and intimate atmosphere of safari camps can really add ‘warmth’ to your trip.
In order to make sure your trip is perfect in every way, you need 100% accurate and impartial advice on all aspects of your holiday, and you need your tour operator to not only appreciate your preferences but genuinely care about your trip. Good advice and attention to detail are crucial factors to the success of your special holiday. As a small, specialist company, we understand these requirements and our consultants will strive to ensure your whole research, booking and travelling experience is a close to ‘perfect’ as possible.
For couples planning a wedding in Africa, these factors are even more important. Not only can Africa offer memorable and stunning locations for intimate weddings or blessings, but we can also guarantee management and staff who will really care about your individual wedding experience. If you choose to be married on safari, you may well be the only wedding they organise that year, and your hosts will be nearly as excited about it as you are!
In terms of where to go on honeymoon in Africa, there are many amazing options and it is hard to say where would be best for anyone without understanding their personal interests, requirements and budget. However, the following points may be a useful guide:
- For a ‘softer’ safari adventure, possibly with superior levels of luxury and sophistication, South Africa offers amazing safaris, where you are pretty guaranteed to see the big game up close. South Africa is also home to cosmopolitan Cape Town and offers easy access to beach destinations such as Mozambique, Mauritius and Seychelles. South Africa is also the only country that can offer malaria free big game safaris.
- Kenya is home to the Masai Mara, one of Africa most incredible game viewing areas which is ideal for honeymooners looking to experience the quintessential African plains experience, complete with big herds of game being watched by the big cats. The Mara can easily be combined with the Kenya Coast, Zanzibar or Seychelles for a wonderful safari and beach combination.
- Tanzania is a country that can offer incredible safari and beach honeymoons. The north is home to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater, two iconic safari regions, whilst the south is home to the more remote and exclusive Nyerere National Park and Ruaha. Both regions can easily combine with Zanzibar and the other Tanzania islands.
South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania tend to offer the greatest variety of honeymoon options, especially if you are looking for reasonable value safari and beach combinations, often with 4 to 7 days on safari.
However, if you have a flexible budget and are interested in spending a little longer on safari, safari countries such as Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana can offer amazing, remote and exclusive wilderness adventures. These countries can be combined with lovely beach destinations such as Mozambique, Mauritius and Seychelles, as well with a visit to Victoria Falls. A few days on the Zambezi River near Victoria Falls can offer some non-safari relaxation time as an alternative to visiting the beach.
Lastly, for more specialist honeymoon adventures you can consider going to see the mountain gorillas of Uganda and Rwanda, an activity that can be combined with big game safaris in Kenya and Tanzania, or you could consider visiting the utterly incredible desert wilderness of Namibia.
Please call us on +44 (0) 1787 888590 to discuss your honeymoon ideas and requirements, or email us via our Contact Us page. We look forward to working with you create an unforgettable honeymoon adventure!